2.17.2009

Two quilts...

When we went to the birth mother panel they all talked about gifts that the
adoptive couple gave them. They each got something that really meant a lot to them. A couple
got jewelry and some got quilts. My mother in law was there and liked the idea of quilts. She
sews and my family sews - between the two families there have been many quilts made for
others. So I went to the fabric store and looked through some quilt books with my mother in
law. We came to this conclusion:

This pattern
-
With
these colors.
We
tried to keep it gender neutral because we don't know what we will get first. We could prefer,
but isn't the surprise part of the fun? It maybe is early but in the event that we have little
warning about placement, we will have a gift ready. The best part is how we are going to
involve everyone. I will be doing the applique for all the hearts (yes, I will sew 55 hearts
on by hand, but it's about love, right?). My mother in law will piece the top of the baby
quilt. My mother will piece the top of the birth-mother quilt. My grandma Budge will bind them
both (because she does a wonderful job) and I am enlisting the help of my grandma Arave for
help with the embroidered flowers that come out of the tops of the hearts. They will
essentially be the same quilt, with more borders on the birth-mother's, and only one small one
on the babies. It's a good way to pass the time. I'm quite excited.

This brings me to another point. A question I'd like to put to
you all. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I'd rather be over prepared than under. What sort of
preparations would be appropriate? What am I justified in purchasing and when? Daniel says I
can shop furniture sales after we get approved. What do I do to keep from getting my hopes up
too high for a baby so soon? We aren't thinking there's a chance until probably next summer.
If it happens sooner it's a surprise. Once we reach a year and a half, I might start to worry.
What are the ways in which you prepared for your baby, knowing or hoping for one?

Thanks for any input.

4 comments:

  1. Those quilts are going to look awesome!! I still love the one you made for
    me so much! And good questions... I didn't really buy anything for Carson until right before
    he was born. Most of my stuff I got from showers and stuff. The thing is - where you don't
    know when you are getting a baby, it's probably not a huge rush to get everything right away.
    And stuff really can be bought very quickly. I would maybe just put money aside for all the
    "stuff" and then when you find out if you will be getting a baby, you can go out and buy it.
    That's just a thought though, do what you want! Buying baby stuff is so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we decided we wanted to get pregnant we started stalking up on diapers
    and wipes and Desitin, etc. By the time we actually had Madison we had about a years worth of
    diapers. It was great! Just a thought. (If this comes up twice, I'm sorry. Something happened
    while I was typing.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! The quilts are so neat, and to have everyone help you is
    just awesome!

    I was told that to get a package of diapers
    every time I went grocery shopping. I found that useful!!! Start looking at the kind of stuff
    you like/dont like. Start putting that money away. So when it does happen you will know right
    where to go to get it. Study up on the car seat laws. I think are some new ones! I am so
    excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those quilts will be such a meaningful gift for you, your baby, and the
    birth mother. You are such a neat person.

    I say, if you
    see something you want buy it. There is nothing wrong with being excited. If you think it
    would be better for you to wait then wait but if you really want to start preparing go for it.
    I started buying baby books I liked a loong time before I got pregnant with Gracie. I'm sure
    you will get a lot of stuff for showers so you probably won't have to buy much. I was at Down
    East Home in Ogden today and they had some reallly cute cribs for pretty good prices. They
    also have cute Pottery Barn bumper pads marked down. I remember the anticipation of a new baby
    coming to our home, there is nothing like it. I hope you are given your baby sooner than
    later, but either way it will be worth the wait. I am so excited for you two!

    ReplyDelete