2.10.2009

Sort of a Tuesday Tidbit

This week I have nothing as
fun as macaroni and cheese. It's about sacrifice. How much are we willing to sacrifice? How much
have we sacrificed? How much has it hurt us to sacrifice? Were they heartfelt
sacrifices?
Have we willingly given up something dear to us?


As far as my personal experience goes,
I am pathetic. As you all know we are in the adoption process. Tonight we had a panel of birth
mothers come and talk to us about their side of the story. On the way home I realized how
selfishly I have been
viewing this whole situation. There are some things I need to think about for myself. But this
process has two sides, ours the smaller half.
The birth mothers tonight touched my heart
in ways that
only those who have truly sacrificed could. These women are amazing.

We have the child for eternity. The child
becomes ours when sealed to us. But what is that compared to getting the child here, a part of
us, and then placing that child into the arms of another who will then have your baby for
eternity? Sacrifice.

These women find out they are pregnant in
situations they don't want to be pregnant in. There were four. One was in a bad marriage. One
had been in a short, unhealthy relationship. One had been dating the guy for 2 years. One was
engaged. They ranged in age from 18 to 31. Each had a very different experience. Chose their
adoptive couples for different reasons. Had different placement stories. Each had different
needs to heal. They placed 6 years ago, 2 years ago, 6 months ago, 4 months ago. They were
each in a different place in their healing process.

They all said it was the hardest thing
they have ever done.

They all cried at the pain and
smiled at the peace. They sacrificed something I will never understand.
They were all at peace knowing what they did was the right thing. They all knew the Lord and
our Heavenly Father love them and supported them through the whole thing, as they do still.
One woman specifically said she has no idea how Heavenly Father gave his only begotten son to
this world to save us because placing her baby in the arms of another just about killed her.
She has my respect. They all have my respect. They have helped me in ways I didn't know I
needed help. Their whole experience was shared with love. Remembered with pain and peace
co-mingled.

I wish I could convey to you the spirit I
felt tonight.
For the first time I realized what some yet unknown woman
will be giving me when she places her baby in our home. I will probably cry about it
regularly. These women have earned a place in our Heavenly Father's kingdom. I only hope I can
to the same and show my love for the Savior in some special way.

May our Heavenly Father continue to bless birth mothers who make the hardest choice
of their life.

To give life.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you had such an amazing experience last night. I agree that all
    birth parents deserve a place in the kingdom of God for their selfless act. I am in depted to
    three amazing people who without, I wouldn't have the oppertunity to be silly, kiss owies,
    wipe away tears, change stinky diapers, give baths, play pincess tea party, and the list goes
    on... Adoption is an amazing thing and I feel so blessed to be able to experience it and live
    it everyday. Even when I was having a bad day, I knew that Heavenly Father had led me to
    adoption and that I needed to have patience, because one day he would lead my baby to my home.

    ReplyDelete