4.07.2009

Tuesday Tidbit

Journals. They are so important and very fascinating.Examples:

Last week I needed to know my confirmation date for my service missionary interview. I forgot to ask my ward. So I called my grandma who keeps a record of things that go on in her life and in the lives of her children and grandchildren. She was able to tell me exactly. It was very helpful.

Thomas Jefferson (I know, him again) was an avid journal keeper. The people who are working at restoring his home and maintaining it's true environment have been helped by his journals. He recorded everything planted and where in his garden. This was also part of his horticultural interests.


The Governor's Palace in Colonial Williamsburg was burned to the ground in 1781. In the years prior, Thomas Jefferson resided there as Governor of the Territory of Virginia. During the 1920s and 1930s, while Mr. Rockefeller was restoring Williamsburg to it's Colonial state, they used Thomas Jefferson's detailed records of the Governor's Palace to re-built the Palace. They were able to match it almost exactly to what it was during his time.

I also find journals very interesting as they recount stories of family and of world events from different perspectives. Keep a journal. Someone suggested during our adoption classes that we records what happens and our feelings through the whole process to share with our child(ren) when they are grown. I am trying to document as best I can. I think the prophets have even shared with us the value of keeping journals. Records of our lives will serve many purposes, some of which we are not even aware. Blogs are great that way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment