6.29.2012

The Last of my DC Trip

My sister and I spent two days in Washington DC after leaving Charlottesville. We had a good time. Here are some pictures.

We went to Mount Vernon - the home of George Washington.




After visiting Mount Vernon we headed into downtown via the Metro.

We visited a couple of the museum then walked the monuments and memorials.
 One of Amelia Earhart's planes.
 Daniel Radcliff's robe from the Harry Potter Movies. He is short, by the way.
 The White House.
 The DAR building.
 Technically Caitlin and I qualify for the Daughters of the American Revolution. And we might just do it.
 We discovered this vent and Caitlin did her Marilyn Monroe moment.
 This squirrel ran down the tree and towards me expecting food. He wasn't the healthiest of squirrels. Kind of scary.
 The Vietnam War Memorial.
 The Lincoln Memorial.
 The Washington Monument. They are renovating things on the mall and putting in a water system that will better use the resources and reduce waste. I guess the reflecting pool is part of this revamp. I'll be excited to see it when it's done.
 Caitlin at Lincoln's Memorial.
The Korean War Memorial.

The next morning we spent time at Arlington Cemetery. We saw the house, the Tomb of the Unknowns, watched the changing of the guard, and wandered the cemetery a bit. There was a funeral going on. It was very touching.



The tomb of the Civil War Unknowns.


 We were able to watch two wreath placements ceremonies while there. It was interesting. Teenagers these days don't really understand properly dressing up. Good grief. Their skirts were barely past their bums.



The next thing we did was head to the Old Post Office Pavilion. You can't go up in the Washington Monument anymore. Which makes me glad I did when I was young. So we went to the Old Post Office. You can go up to the 12th floor and look out from the bell tower. It was cool. 
 




The Smithsonian Castle.
It was a good trip.

I was home for two days before I headed back to China, where I had a great two weeks with a routine and a few adventures before I was off for another grand adventure. I'll start blogging about that tomorrow. It's a long one with lots of fun and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment