6.05.2012

Monticello Part 3

The Dome Room. This is my favorite part of the entire house. I love everything about it.

This particular window has a mirror on the bottom half because of the roof line. It also helps reflect the light really well. Why a mirror and not just a half window you say? Because that would not be symmetrical. Symmetry was Jefferson's favorite architectural character.
Don't you love the yellow walls. They are exactly the color of my kitchen at home. Sometimes I have a dream of painting my whole house this color. Don't worry. I won't. But I want a quilt of this yellow and various blues for my next bed spread. Blue and yellow are my favorite color combination right now. Happy colors.
The Dome Room skylight is a single piece of hand blown glass from Germany that is 48 inches, 4 feet, across. The glass that was there in Jefferson's time was made in Boston and never lasted very long with out cracking.
 Beautiful moldings. The floor moldings are actually like 28 inches high. They seem disproportionate to the room, but they are actually proportionate to the room in regards to the rest of the house. Because of it's very high ceiling, 36" I think, they actually fit right in.
The third floor hallway with the entrance to the Dome Room on the left.

Next post I will show you the portico and cute little story that goes along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment