4.22.2012

Beijing Part 5 - Duck

That's right. Duck. Worth it's own post. We had Peking Duck in the oldest restaurant in Beijing for lunch after we left the Temple of Heaven. I want to say it was amazing, but I just didn't love the taste.

This is the street the restaurant is on.
 An old building.
 The sign at the restaurant. They are doing a lot of reconstruction outside the entrance.
Cutting our duck.
 The hungry crew.
 You get pancakes that you put the duck with sauce and garlic inside. One of the "best" parts is the deep fried skin with sugar on it. It was okay, but pretty fatty. I can say now that Peking duck is not my favorite food.

Interesting fact: The Chinese now call it Beijing Duck. The capital used to be called Peking, thus Peking Duck. But now that the capital is called Beijing, they changed the name to Beijing Duck. If you ask them about Peking Duck, they ask you what you are talking about.

Next up: Tian An Men Square. Where nothing happened.
No really. That's what the Simpsons told me.




2 comments:

  1. Peking is the western name for it, I believe it has always been Beijing for the Chinese. Similar to Bombay - Mumbai, Calcutta - Kolkata, Munchen - Munich....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving all your Beijing posts - totally brings back memories for me. I had Peiking Duck at the same restaurant and was a big fan, well compared to some of the crazy food we had while we were in Chang Zhou for work the duck was awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete