6.03.2011

Paper cutting

My dad likes to tell a story about when I was in either kindergarten or preschool, I'm not sure. I got up and got ready for school on a Saturday and then my father told me that it was Saturday and that I didn't have school. He says that I thought about it and then said "but I can still cut, color and paste!" with enthusiasm.

He likes to tell this story because I have always enjoyed cutting, coloring, pasting and many other crafty and creative things. Well, now I have had the opportunity to take the cutting to the next level.

On Tuesday afternoons for the first four weeks we had Chinese paper cutting lessons. This is something I am going to continue with. I'm getting some books and I have bought a pair of the scissors. Here is my work as the class progressed.

The first week we cut out simple shapes and learned their names in Chinese.


 These are the ones that I have the most fun with. I love doing these. The orange one is my favorite.
 I really like the framed ones, like this.

This is my favorite one. For our end examination we had to cut out a pattern, a dragon or a dog. I cut out the dog and turned that in and brought the dragon home to cut out and keep for myself. Pretty cool huh? I hope to be able to cut things like this out without using a stencil, but to be able to free hand the patterns to cut out. I'll show you more as I cut them out. What do you think dad? Still cutting, coloring and pasting!

2 comments: