5.16.2011

I like getting lost...

On small islands that is. On Friday evening I had just left my classmates at a restaurant on Zhoung Shan Lu and decided to walk home, as it was not far and I could see my landmark. Well, I took a wrong turn and after walking for 15 minutes I lost my landmark. So I got in a taxi and asked to be taken to my building. 3 blocks away. What? I'm a dork. I was just behind a building that I should have finished walking around, and I would have seen my building. Silly me. But I did see some fun things and I think I will go exploring again with Daniel in the coming weeks.

The second time we got lost this weekend we did on purpose. We were on Gulangyo and decided that it would be fun to wander a small island and see what it had to offer. We found some fun stuff and I took a lot of pictures. So this is part one of our adventurous weekend.

We had two guests in town this week from Lifetime and so we took them sight seeing. One guy has been a few times, but never had time to sight see. The other has never been to China before. He was like a kid in a candy store. It is fun for us to feel that renewed interest and curiosity again.

We started with a trip over to Gulyangyu where we spent almost 6 hours.
This little guy was just outside the painting shop we like to visit. We will be getting things here in the future.
This is a paper umbrella that was painted and then oiled so that it is preserved and water proof.

This guy was making things out of bamboo. We bought the bird. It doesn't look quite so cool all dried up.
They put glass on top of the wall to prevent people from climbing over them.
These people used blue - a bit more decorative.
This is sugar cain. They run it through a press and juice it.

This is the juice of the sugar cain. The ones on the right that are more gray-green-yellow-ish are the sugar ones. We bought some but it tasted pretty funky. Like saturated sugar water.
This is a very old big tree.

This is the sign for the tree. It's a ficus microcarpa that is 290 years old. There are many al over the island that well over 150 years old.

 This is a statue of a very famous man in Chinese history. His name is Zheng Chengong.
 This is the beach on the way up to see the stone statue.
 I took this from standing as his feet.
 This is back down.
 This is the sign telling people about him.
 We are on the stone walkway that goes around him. I'm trying to include pictures of us so you know we are really seeing and doing!
 This is a bronze statue of his helmet and sword.
On our way back to the ferry and we saw these old ladies playing this game. I tried to ask the old man on the far right what they were playing and he just said no.

It was a fun day. After this we ate noodles and then headed to Zhongshan Lu.
Check back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment