4.11.2011

Atlanta Day 1

It was actually our first whole day. We landed in the early evening on Sunday. We managed to get me a wrist band for the opening reception for the Convergence conference that Daniel is attending. We were able to wander the World of Coca-Cola and the Georgia Aquarium. That was amazing. There was lots of good food and we did the touching pond. If you are ever in Atlanta I would highly recommend the Aquarium. I don't know how much the World of Coca-Cola is, but it was interesting. You get to taste about 170 flavors of Coke product flavors from all around the world. Everyone says the Beverly from Italy is the one to try. It was gross. It tasted like cough syrup. It took another 10 tastings to get the flavor out of my mouth. Yuck.

Then today Daniel went to the Conference at 7 this morning and I was left to "fend" for myself. I had a lazy morning and then rode the MARTA into town. I first went to the Oakland Cemetery where I saw the graves of Margaret Mitchell, author of Gone With the Wind and Bobby Jones, golfing legend.




It was a nice thing. I went there by accident. I had ridden the MARTA headed to the Cyclorama and this was on the. It was full of pretty photo opportunities.

Then I walked the ridiculous length down the street only to find the Cyclorama is closed on Mondays. but I will do that Tuesday.

Then I rode the bus up to the Margaret Mitchell house where she wrote Gone With the Wind, one of my favorite books. I wrote my senior seminar paper on the film. I am a huge fan. It was neat to see where she wrote the book.

(Image from the Margaret Mitchell House website.)

That little desk in the corner is where she wrote the book. She started it after hurting her ankle in an accident. She worked on it on and off for about 9 years. It was published in 1936, ten years after starting it. It is now published in over 50 languages.

I was able to take a few pictures outside and in the visitors center.


Margaret Mitchell lived in a four room apartment on the basement level on the left. There was a living room, a bedroom, a bathroom and a very small kitchen. It was tiny  Check out the link with the pictures. It was good.

Then I went back to the hotel, cleaned up, changed my clothes and headed back into town to meet Daniel for dinner. He was invited by a contractor to attend a dinner. It was nice. It was located on teh 73rd floor of the Westin Hotel in Atlanta.

We ate in the Lounge. It rotates every 32 minutes all the way around. It was cool. 73 floors is way up there. I took this photo from the street after we ate.


It was nice. Tomorrow I will have more pictures to post.

Hope you all are enjoying life as much as I am!

1 comment:

  1. I have not had a computer for a bit and then I couldn't access blogs after I got it so I am so excited to catch up on you. I am so excited for you. And I am shocked and saddened that I have not read Gone With The Wind yet. I LOVE reading and I think that would be a truly amazing book. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete