7.17.2011

My new little friend

After the death  march and mystery lunch we caught taxis (that took forever) and went over to Gulangyu. Our taxi got there first by about 10 minutes. While we waited I noticed this little girl who was playing around and sitting on the steps. She was so cute. But she worried me.

 I couldn't see her family anywhere. She wandered off around the staircase, then came back. Then had some drink and wandered off again. Then her grandma came.
 She called for her, but couldn't find her. I told her that the little girl went around the staircase and she went off to find her. They both came back shortly after and the grandmother gave us 2 wax apples. They are pretty good, but no, I did not eat them. I did not have a way to wash them.
  She was such a little cutie. Her little hair just sticks straight out in every direction. I caught this last photo of her as we left. She was there playing around on Wednesday when I went back.

Her parents must work all day and so grandma takes care of her while collecting plastic bottles for recycling. Many of the old people do this for subsistence. They must get a fair amount for it to be worth it. I now call her "Little Orphan Annie." When I saw her Wednesday afternoon she was sound asleep on her grandma's shoulder. I wish there was something I could do for her. She just breaks my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment