1.01.2010

The rest of Virginia

While I was in Virginia before Thanksgiving (forgive the procrastination) I got to see two important historical places. Some of you may not oogle over this like me, but I love Revolutionary and Civil War places.

Place #1: Harper's Ferry
Important to Revolutionary War and Civil War

I went with my grandma and my aunt Georganne to Harper's Ferry. This is one of the streets. The other one is very steep. This is the church up on the hill, behind the street you see above.I did walk up to the church. The roads zig zag up there. It was beautiful.
After I went up to the church, I climber farther (along the Appalachian Trail) to Jefferson's Rock. It is the spot where Jefferson declared Harper's Ferry one of the most beautiful places. This is the rock. This is the view of the converging rivers at Harper's Ferry. Harper's Ferry is a small town that was key ground in both Revolutionary and Civil Wars. It is located in West Virginia. Behind me and the trees in Maryland and to the right is Virginia. During the Civil War each side help the territory three times. The Union held it for three years at one point. You know who won.

Place #2: Appomattox Court House

Guess what? That's the name of the hamlet. The surrender of Robert E. Lee's troops to Ulysses S. Grant's troops actually took place in a house at Appomattox Court House. The McLean House.
The McLean family were just a normal family. He was a trader and profiteer during the Civil War. Their house was nice enough that the troops declared it a fit place for surrender.
This is a replica of the original table General Lee (of the South) used. The original is in the Smithsonian. General Grant (of the North) used this smaller desk. There was a reason the desks differ so much. General Grant did a few things to allow General Lee and his troops to keep their dignity. Lee showed up early, on a horse and wearing a clean neat uniform. Grant showed up on time, disheveled, and on foot. Grant played the humble part, and thus took the smaller desk. When surrender happened each man in Lee's Army was given the paper granting them safe travel home, parole, if you will, they were fed from the rations of the Union troops and they were allowed to keep their animals and uniforms. They had to surrender their arms, but that was to be expected. The Union army stood at attention while the Confederates surrendered their weapons.
This is the actual Courthouse. The reason the hamlet is called Appomattox Courthouse is because of the court house. It was the county seat for Appomattox County and at a cross roads from Richmond to the south and west. The new county seat is at Appomattox, three miles down the road.

I had a great time in Viiginia. I always enjoy my trips. Hopefully next time grandma and I can have some more sewing and chill time. We traveled a lot this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment