12.07.2012

Expounding upon propagation...

I'll get back to our Hong Kong trip next post.

In the last week I have had three people approach me, share with  me, or message me about missionaries getting calls to China accompanied with a note that says "Please call Pres. Monson." Take a moment and think about it. If the prophet wanted to talk to you, wouldn't they just call you? His number isn't given out.

After hearing this rumor three times, I called down to the Church Office Building and talked with the Missionary Department. I asked them about the China thing and she said it was false and would I do my part  to quiet those rumors with the people I come in contact with. She also told me that this kind of thing could potentially be damaging to the Church's current relationship with China. We have the liberties that do in China because of the positive working relationship and the adherence to the rules by the members of the church in China. There were many times I wanted to break the rules, but never did because we have to be above the idea of "but I won't get caught" or "no-one will know." We have to be unimpeachable.

This incident brought to my mind similar things or potential situations. I have the "friend," we'll call her Janet. In high school Janet's friend, we'll call her Molly, asked a guy to a dance. We'll call him Johnny. One day in a class Janet heard Johnny's cousin say "he just doesn't want to go because of the upcoming game and he needs his rest." Well, Janet thought she was taking about Johnny. So Janet told Molly that Johnny didn't want to go. Molly then decided to ask another guy, We'll call him Charlie. The next day both Charlie and Johnny answered Molly and said yes. Now Molly was stuck with two dates. Oops. Maybe Janet should have checked her facts. The situation was resolved and they had another friend with a guest in town and Charlie went with the out of town visitor. But let's just say awkward? Check your facts Janet.

It's also like me being the first to find out my friend is pregnant. Then I get on facebook and tell everyone. Not my firsthand info the share. I would have just harmed the relationship with my best friend and potentially other friendships of hers.

So whether something is true or not, if it's not your first hand knowledge, it's not yours to share. Janet learned that lesson in a very awkward way. We may hear it first hand, but as soon as we share, it's not first hand information anymore.

We as members of the Church enjoy sharing good news and sometimes we get a little carried away. I myself have been guilty of this, I'm sure. If the Church were to benefit from such a wonderful opportunity, they would surely announce it and not be clandestine about it.

I love China. I would desperately love for my dear friends there to be able to hear the gospel preached in their land in their own tongue. But we are years away from that still. The Communist party is still the same. Their ideals and goals for their people are still the same.

Daniel described it as an older brother looking after the hot teenager sister. He is very protective until he is sure that things won't harm her. Right now the relationship with China is good. We have their trust. But we have to keep it and keep earning it. They know we do good. But they have to be sure it's good for their people, not just good in general. So there are small allowances. We can share with Chinese nationals outside of China. Chinese national members can share with with their family - parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, siblings, cousins. This is a fairly recent development (2 years, I think. Don't quote me on it though.) Things will change little by little according to the Lord's plan. Let's have faith in his timing and in his hand.

The Lord will not lead us astray or do something that people aren't prepared for. He knows what he's doing. I always tell myself, he hasn't messed up yet, so why would he now? We know how fair he is and that everyone will get a chance to hear the gospel, whether in this life or the next. Maybe someone alive today will get to be part of that amazing opportunity of sharing the gospel openly in China. Until then, let's enjoy the amazing opportunities that are ours today and share the gospel wherever else we can.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment