3.25.2010

Kitchen projects

We have been busy for the last week. I emptied my back room to tile it then we decided to do the kitchen at the same time rather than wait until full kitchen remodel.
We had to bring the laundry room floor up to the level of the kitchen - that blue line is how far it had to come up. This is what we had to do to bring the floor up two inches. Those are split 2x4's.
Pulling apart the kitchen was quite an adventure.I love that sink. I hope to take it to my new house. It's huge. Probably take all the metal cabinets with us for a craft room or garage cabinets. They are awesome.
This is what is normally spread out in my front room pushed into one corner.
I put my fridge and freezer in my front room with one of the lower cabinets.
My stove is the first thing you see when you open my door. We have since moved the microwave, but my silverware drawer is next to my desk as I type.

Everything out. There was a little mold where the linoleum stops. But it took care of itself.
After we began to pull up the first floor we found this. The first floor was stapled down. Pretty?Lacy was sad she couldn't come in.
My father-in-law spent like 45 minutes to an hour pulling all the staples up. To no avail.


After we brought up the laundry room floor we still had to pull up the next kitchen floor to bring it down to the level of the laundry room. This took care of the mold. It did not go down to the next level because of the roofing paper. Multipurpose!
That level was easier because it was only nailed down with some nails, not 8,000,000 staples.
The original sub-floor.
Confused dogs.

While everything was out I figured it was the best time to paint. We chose butter-cup yellow. I love it. So happy!
This is the first session of tile laying. Now that this is dry we will tile the back room and the edges.
Wow. So much. I am excited to have it done.

Hopefully this fall we will have the cash to buy the new cabinets too. But it can wait. I'm just glad to have a new floor. Whew. I'll update with more when things get done.

2 comments:

  1. So awesome! Congratulations! It's looking great. Craig asked me what you guys were doing this last weekend. I told him I wasn't sure. You had been planning to do the back room but that looked like way more than that. I'm glad you're getting it done. If you want any help, give me a ring. Or maybe just to come over for dinner? We'd love to have you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wheh that is quite the job! Looks great and I can't wait to see the finished kitchen photos!

    ReplyDelete