9.11.2009

Fruits of my labor

I am going to go a bit introspective on this one. I do not generally have a problem accepting my infertility. I am actually missing 3 organs. One crucial (Thyroid) and two "would be nice to have" (my ovaries - they shrank up and died about 6 1/2 years ago). So I am the marvelously functioning organ missing woman. I just hope I don't loose anymore due to my tendency (and family history) of auto-immune diseases.

I pretty much quickly gave up on having my own children when two things happened: 1 - I found out the cost and physical toll that in-vitro involves (not emotionally strong here) and 2 - the Lord answered my prayers of adoption through a dream in which we were given our baby and all the love felt right and peaceful. Dreams are very significant for me. This is not the first time it's happened. I've had a few about how much adoption is right for us.

Although I will never have fruits of my own loins, I can have a fruitful life. There are many ways in which I am currently doing that - either in the process or in evidence.

My fruitfulness in evidence? Tomatoes. I am one mean tomato grower. My plants are HUGE!!! What you see there are five plants. The big mound on the left is 2 Lemon Boy variety. The short stack are 3 Celebrity variety. Ignore the mass of weeds in front of them. I grow those well too.

Not only am I collecting a ton of tomatoes, but some of them are huge tomatoes themselves. This is one day's harvest. These were mostly picked in the last 2 days. Last week when we left for Bear Lake I had 46 tomatoes of my own growing on my counter top. I am going to can some, make some salsa, and make some home made tomato soup. Yum. These are my biggest^. These are my biggest in relation to my smaller ones. They are about the size of a soft ball. Yup. Big. This is a freshly sliced plate of My tomatoes. Are they gorgeous? They taste good too. My dad planted the same variety and although he is getting as many per bush that I am, he hasn't gotten ones this big!! Nanner nanner dad. To up the anti - next year I am going to try some exotic varieties. Did I mention that this is my first year growing them on my own? (My own includes my husband who has helped along the way). Yeah. Here is a list of some varieties available. Taking suggestions. I like the Black Russian/Black Prince. I am also going to do Cherry tomatoes. When I have grown some I will have people over for a tasting party. Anyone want to come?

Another way in which I hope to be fruitful, is in running. It's no secret that I want to adopt. (Duh, whar'd you get that idear?) . The R House, (who I might add is AMAZING!!) had got a group of women involved with adoption running as a goal and a pick me up. This running can help in so many ways. Health, physical and mental, group goal of running the Canyonlands Half Marathon (Am I stupid or optimistic?) and something to push me to be my best. She has a blog to help us support each other. The R House Runs. She is facilitating a way to release stress, participate actively in a group cause and feel part of a group and get us all in shape while we're at it! I am so excited. I have only run a few times recently, not really for almost 4 years, and I intend to feel better and be better. We are trying to reach a training goal and then we will all be part of training schedule for the half marathon. I remember how much I enjoyed running in years past. I want to enjoy it again. I need to be able to run 20 miles a week by Christmas. Can I do it? I am going to proceed like I can. Because I will. Maybe adding running back to my life will bring adoption and running together for me. Something I may be able to continue for years.

Wish me luck. I am going to go have a tomato for an after noon snack!!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, Ashley! You go girl! You can do it. And any exercise, as hard as it is, tends to just make me feel better. You should really come to my class with me. And I do love those tomatoes. Can't wait for next year's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are some yummy lookin' tomatoes! We lOve tomatoes in this house, well Bella and I . Brett hates fresh ones. I constantly have to pinch my self to think that I actually married someone who hates fresh tomatoes! lol
    Also, I think it is great for you that you will begin running. It is such a stress reliever for sure:-) You know, Ashley you are going to be a great mom, and it is nice how you share your feelings about adoption and how special it is. I just had 2 of my family members adoptions go thru this past month after some long struggles. They are so happy, and I cant wait for you guys to experience that same kind of happiness when your baby comes home:-)

    ReplyDelete