3.18.2009

Pretend...

I posted this yesterday. I had decided, but then got side tracked trying to cash in credit card points. Grrr. I hate making phone calls.

Tidbit

Hanging Art.

I spent the last two days hanging art on temporary walls as a helper with the Museum of Church History and Art. I did two internships with them and they needed extra help without extra work on their part. So the trained reinforcements were called in. I like helping down there so much that I turned in a Service Missionary application to them on Monday. I'm excited.

So, the art. When the exhibit opens you HAVE to go see it all. It's the International Art Competition Exhibit at the Conference Center in Salt Lake. There are 190 pieces of art created by members of the church from all around the world. There are some amazing pieces.

When hanging art there are lots of measurements to be done. Get out your calculator. I hate math

When hanging art there are lots of measurements to be done. Get out your calculator. I hate math. When hanging for an exhibit there is a standard height, between 58 and 60 inches on center. When hanging over a couch or other piece of furniture you have to adjust accordingly. Taller walls will call for higher centers. But lets work with how to center your piece at 58 inches.

Measure the height of the art.For math sake, lets say 24 in. high.

Divide that in half and you have center. 12

Add the height will be center. So we add

12 + 58 = 70. That is where the top of art will be.


Then you have to decide what kind of hanging apparatus you are going to use. Most things can just use one hook like this. (see below). Make sure it is rated to hold the weight of your piece. If you have a heavy piece or a wide piece you might want to use two at a small distance in order to add stability. Like if my piece was 50 inches wide, that's big. So I would use two hooks, 20 inches apart (each 10 in. off center). Now, measure the distance from the bottom of the wire to the top of the frame. This is how far down from 70 we will place our hook. (I don't recommend just using a nail unless you don't care if your piece ends up on the floor.) So if our wire is 7 inches down from the top then we hang at 63 inches.

12 + 58 = 70

70 - 7 = 63

It gets fun when you have quarter, eighth and sixteenth inches. Haha. Cruel and unusual punishment. Measure up from the floor, use chalk or a pencil to mark your spot. If you are using hook like this, you have to place the hook so the BOTTOM is at your mark, not the nail.



Then pound away. When it is secure, place the piece. If it is at all heavy, use another person to help!! Then place a level along the edge, and level out your piece. It will look great. It will be the right height for people to see the most important part. If you want to see this in action, hehe, then go visit a museum. Especially the Museum of Church History and Art. I'm so excited for the exhibit at the Conference Center. It's great.

Enjoy hanging your art!

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow! I had no idea it was so hard, but now if I ever get anything to hang on our walls I know who to call to come hang it! :) How are the adoption classes going? Hope you are doing well. Tell Daniel Hello for us! Have a great day and enjoy the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete