7.21.2012

The Muslim Quarter

After the stone steeles we went to the Great Mosque in Xi'An. It's not called great because of the building's size or architecture, but because of how many it can hold. It's quite large. 
 It has four courtyards.
 It's very old.
 There are places for 1200 to pay inside, and can fit another 400 in the courtyards, for a total of 1600 total capacity for the men to pray.

Nice carvings.

The street around the mosque is a market, mostly run by the Muslim population of Xi'An.

 We got these delicious pancakes for dinner. Both nights we were there. Accompanied by cool fresh squeezed orange juice. Yummy dinner.
 Sorry for the unattractive picture. Only one I have of us eating.
 The street.

 This was a popular theme of goods for sale in the street markets. Our guide in Guilin told us Obama is great Communist. Awesome.
 As it got darker these lights in the trees turned on and gave the effect of white and blue rain. As soon as I can find some to buy, I will. I love them. they are really pretty in the dusk and the dark.
Because of the girls' blonde hair, lots of Chinese wanted pictures of them. Mostly my cousin Abby. I think because she has blonde hair and brown eyes. Most of the blondes we saw had blue eyes.
The drum tower of Xi'An. Towards the right, behind the tower is where the Muslim street heads. It was pretty. This was taken from the plaza right in front of our hotel. I loved it. Xi'An has been the only other city that had a feel to it that made me think I could live there. No, I'm not staying in China any longer, but I did really like Xi'An.

The next morning we got up early and went to ride bikes around the city wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment