7.15.2012

The rest of our afternoon in Chengdu

After the panda center were went to lunch at a hot pots restaurant.

It's kind of like fondu, but it's soup, kind of like a chicken broth. You can have spicy or not spicy. We got the pot that is half and half.

You put vegetables and meat to cook. It's yummy. This was not the best one, but it was good. We've had better. We have a restaurant right by our apartment that does it. Next time we go I'll document the meal.




Here is what was left of our meal.
 We ate multiple plates of meat and vegetables. I think everyone enjoyed it.

 After we ate we went to a temple and monastery. It was a pretty little campus.





Then we went to old JiLi street, I think. I can't remember the name. It was an interesting little old neighborhood that is now a shopping district. It also had a few of China's eccentricities.
 These people are getting the ears cleaned. Fun huh?
This man had a grain of rice on the end of a stick and was painting custom characters in the middle of small beads. My mom and her sisters each got one, as well as my aunt got a few for gifts. It was a fun little market where I got a few little things to add to my collection.

After that we went to a tea shop - not what I thought it would be. It was more like a sidewalk cafe sort of thing. They offered us lemon jasmine tea. It was pretty gross, unless you added whole pack of rock sugar, then it just tasted weird. I did not like it, but a few did. But while were there, our guide taught us a little about mahjong. We played a round. It was fun. We plan on buying a set while we are here. We'll have to learn the other ways of playing. I guess it's about as varied as cards games can be. I'm excited.

After that, my mom and her sisters went to the "opera," which they said was more like a Chinese talent and cultural variety show. I think they enjoyed it. Daniel and I took the girls to Pizza Hut.
 They were ready for a little bit of American food. We all enjoyed the delicious stuffed crust pizza delivered hot to our table. Yummy.

The next morning we got up and headed out. Daniel went back to Xiamen and all us girls went on to Xi'an. A very cool city. I loved Xi'an.


No comments:

Post a Comment