5.05.2012

Tokyo Part 4 - The LDS Temple

This was a little bit of an adventure.

We went after doing most of the day in Disneyland. We left the park around 4:30. There was an English session at 7:30 and we wanted to make sure we could get there in time. The train ride was about a 45 min. ride. Then we had a bit of walking and we also had to change and get something to eat.

It ended up being a little more of an adventure than we had planned. But isn't everything?

We got to our station without much trouble. We looked at the map and it had a spot marked by exit 2 that was The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It should have been easy to spot.

We walked that section of street 3 times and couldn't find it. We finally started reading all the signs more closely and we saw "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Area Office." That's what our sign was for. they were just closing up and vacuuming and so they let us in and we asked where the temple was and where we could change out of our street clothes. 

The Temple was on the block behind us. Oops. So the nice man walked us the back way and told us we could change in the distribution center fitting room. After we got changed and were walking back around to the front, I realized that I had left my recommend in the hotel room. Awesome. We decided we would see what they could do for us, knowing also, that we had time to come back in the morning if we needed to. But we really wanted to do the English session.

I do not recommend forgetting your temple recommend. Not a great idea. What ended up happening was I had to give them my name, confirmation date, and branch name, and they looked it up on the computer and gave me a one day single use recommend. Thanks to bar coding, they could tell I had a current recommend. It's easier to just bring your own.

It was the first time I've been to a session since my dad passed away. For the most part I did really well. Until the end. There is such a spirit of sacredness and a closeness to the other side of the veil that can be felt at the temple. I most definitely felt this in my time there. It was a beautiful session and very comforting for me.

The Celestial room is quite beautiful. It has two brightly colored stained glass panels that are back-lit.

At sunset.
After the session. Yes, Daniel wore tennis-shoes. We took only one suitcase and didn't have room. He wasn't the only one with street shoes.
It was a good evening. We ended up getting McDonald's for dinner on our way back to the hotel. To get two meals cost us over $20. Ouch. Japan was very expensive. 

Next: The cherry blossoms. Amazing!

3 comments:

  1. AMAZING! so glad you got to go. The Boise has been closed for almost a year now and I have only been a few times when we go to UT. What a great blessing. So sorry about your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a question for you, do you know if the Tokio Temple has Christmas lights, I have some friends in Saitama and I want to send them there, I would apreciate your help, thank you.
    Alejandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alejandra - I have no idea. The best place to look would be on the Church's website.

    ReplyDelete